Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Healthier Corn Chowder with Butternut Squash and Bacon

After making the corn chowder I posted earlier, I found out there was some hidden sugars in it.  So I came up with a little bit better recipe that I like even more.  Apparently cream corn and ham have sugar in them.  Most things have sugar in them, you can miss them if you are not looking for the right things.  The recipe is not free of sugar completely, but has less than before, a scant amount that should not be a problem, when it comes to weight loss.



1 carton of Organic Chicken Stock (Kirkland's brand from Costco)
1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cut into small chunks (1-2 inches)
1 large yellow onion, minced or diced
1 Tbsp of minced garlic, fresh or from the jar (fresh is best)
2-15 oz. cans of corn, blended in your blender (I used my Magic Bullet.)
2-15 oz. cans of corn, left whole, you can use frozen corn too (I did not have any on hand.)
   (The corn I used is also Kirkland brand, it has no added sugar.)
1-8 oz. package of cream cheese, cut up into chunks
   (check your labels, some cream fat free cream cheeses have corn syrup)
1 cup of bacon crumbles (I used the fully cooked kind, but you have to watch them, some have sugar in the   curing process)

Put everything in the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir and smash the squash with a potato smasher.  Serve hot and enjoy!  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment