Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pumpkin Applesauce Corn Flour Cookies


Pumpkin, applesauce, corn flour cookies?  I know, it doesn't sound very appetizing, but if you could smell these surprisingly tasty treats, you would be in heaven.  I was having some fun experimenting with baking today.  These have ZERO sugar in them!!  Something about the applesauce and pumpkin, mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg, it didn't need any sugar.  I also used coconut oil instead of butter.  But if you are a sugar lover like me and want to add just a little bit of sweetness to your cookie, white chocolate chips are perfect.  I actually stuck some in one of the cookies after it was baked and tried it.  It was almost too sweet, yes, you read that right, too sweet.  You will rarely hear me say that, but on occasion it comes out.


So, how do you make these yummy cookies?


This is what I had and this is what I used.  If you have read my blog at all, you will know that I hate measuring, especially when I am just making something up as I go.  I tried hard to measure this time and keep track of what I put in.

Pumpkin Applesauce Corn Flour Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup ground instant tapioca
1 tsp. salt (you could go with less than that and still be ok)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup coconut oil solid (3/4 cup melted)
1 can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 cup applesauce
1 large dollop of plain Greek yogurt (about 1/4 cup)
3 eggs at room temperature
3 tsps.  pure vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  You will notice there is not a lot of dry ingredients.  That is because corn flour absorbs moisture quickly and the tapioca ground up will also absorb the liquid and gives it a little better texture than if you only added corn flour.  You need a little something to lighten the corn taste and texture.  You could use tapioca flour, soy flour or even almond flour instead.  They are all more expensive than wheat flour, but if you are on a no gluten or amylose diet, like my husband, a little bit added to a less expensive flour like corn flour works.  I am not sure if corn flour is gluten free, but it has no amylose and is o.k. for Duane to eat.  If gluten is an issue and not sugar or amylose, oatmeal ground into flour works too.  Remember that all these grains have different properties, so you will have to play with them a little bit to see what works well and how much is needed.

Melt or soften the coconut oil in a large glass bowl.  Add the rest of the liquid ingredients and eggs.  The coconut oil may solidify some, just keep mixing it well.  I would make sure all liquid ingredients are at room temperature when adding them to the oil, except the yogurt, add it last.  You can use an electric mixer if you want, I just prefer doing it by hand when experimenting so that I can feel the thickness.


Once the liquid ingredients are mixed well, add the dry ingredients.


It should be similar to chocolate chip cookie dough.  Pasty, but not dry.  You might still see some chunks of coconut oil, try to mix them in a little bit more.


Drop onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.  I almost always use parchment paper when baking.  I also like to use an ice cream scoop so that my cookies are uniform in size.  Press them down a little with your finger or a fork to flatten them.  Corn flour is very different from wheat flour.  I found that these cookies did not spread out on their own and were a little doughy if I did not flatten them.  Bake them for 15- 20 minutes depending on your oven.  They will be very soft when you first take them out, but let them cool a bit on the pan and then on a wire rack.  They should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.


My 11 year old just came home and tasted one.  He said it was weird but good and that he could get used to it.  We will see what the 7 year old has to say.  If he will even try it, I will be happy.  I know that my husband, Duane, will enjoy it, especially since I made them for him and his crazy diet.   My 7 year old just tried them, which is unusual.  He made a weird face and said they were cold.  He did not like them very much, but did finish eating what was in his mouth.  I expected worse, so I guess it was a success.

Well, I like them.  I hope you enjoy them too.  Let me know if you try any other varieties of flour and how it turns out.  As always, thanks for your comments.  Happy Cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment